AI your people will love. That’s our vision, and it contains multitudes 🙂
We’re filling a big need for generative AI built ground-up for the needs of enterprises and embraced by their teams. As generative AI became a board-level initiative almost overnight for most enterprises, our market matured dramatically and we benefit from that tailwind. Our product is highly differentiated, our roadmap is transformative, and our customers are happy and vocal.
🛣 Traction and backing
Writer is deployed widely at leading companies like UnitedHealthcare, Accenture, Intuit, UiPath, HubSpot, Spotify, Hilton, Uber, and Deloitte. We have an NRR of +135% and we’re just getting started.
Our inbound funnel is large and growing fast (+3M visitors/month, thousands of weekly ICP trial starts). In late 2021, we received a $21M Series A led by Insight Partners, with participation from Google’s Gradient Ventures, GTMFund, and a world-class group of founders, operators, and angels. We’re a clear leader in a space receiving significant investor interest, and will be able to make the investments required to maintain that position.
🎯 Why it’s the perfect time to join
- We’re still only 50 people. There’s a lot of room to contribute and grow an enduring SaaS company. You’ll have unquestionably made it happen.
- We have strong PMF. We have strong DAUs and deep usage. People spend hours in Writer. The work you’ll do will have a direct impact on some of the top companies in the world — and make work more enjoyable for the users who depend on us to meet their goals.
- Build it, nail it, scale it. We’re at ‘scale it’ and are continually learning. If you like helping turn dirt paths into smooth roads, now is the perfect time to join.
🤓 What we’re like
- We connect. We bring our whole selves to work. We’re a diverse group on multiple dimensions, and we share that with each other.
- We challenge. We’re first principles thinkers, and those principles guide our product and GTM decisions. Things you won’t hear at Writer include “Because that’s what X wants” or “Company Y does it this way.” We’re all on the same side as we build Writer our own way.
- We own. Building a company that achieves escape velocity is hard work. We take full ownership over our schedules and our outcomes, because we believe that’s the purest-energy way to work that hard.
📈 Our operating cadence
- We’re a low-meeting (<4 hours/week for most people) culture, with 1-2 weeks a quarter that are totally meeting-free.
- We’ve been distributed since day 1, and our distributed processes and rituals are long-engrained.
- There’s low overhead, and projects are single-threaded.
- We break down company milestones into quarterly goals and projects, and emphasize by team the one thing that matters the most.
- All of our dashboards and metrics are transparent, live in a single view, and are shared with everyone.
- We’re good at communicating async, use DMs and distracting notifications with caution, and respect each other’s work hours. And we’d never send you a calendar invite before making sure you’re free.
- Weeks are tough, but weekends are sacred.
📐 About this role
Every company grows differently, and we grow when we help our users write better, faster.
As our first AI-focused Product Manager, you’ll lead product development across our AI and NLP team, executing on strategic roadmap initiatives that help our customers accelerate their writing workflows.
Your positivity, sense of curiosity, and ability to create champions from early adopters in the AI writing space will help shape our entire culture. If you have a builder mentality, this is the role for you.
You’ll be reporting to our Head of Product.
🦸🏻♀️ Your responsibilities
- Drive clear product definition and roadmap to achieve business goals, with well-defined metrics and indicators for success.
- Deeply understand customer needs and priorities, and define model and data requirements based on this understanding
- Define and track metrics to measure product quality and business impact.
- Collaborate closely with our small team of AI/ML researchers and engineers, data analysts, annotators, and other product managers.
- Present capabilities to customers and work directly with sponsor customers to shape the product.
- Validate ROI for new initiatives and capabilities. This will include researching the current state of the product, competitive product offerings, market trends, and the users of high-end unstructured data analytics software to make strategic recommendations for future product direction.
- Act as an entrepreneur, strategist, cross-functional team leader, and customer advocate.
⭐️ Is this you?
- 5+ years experience in Product Management, or similar role (engineering manager) leading cross-functional product or software engineering teams.
- 2+ years experience with AI/ML, specifically NLP related products, Data Management or Analytics products.
- A growth mindset, is relentless and has passion for building amazing products
- The ability to think strategically but loves to get into the details of the product and how it works.
- Has technical acumen to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions alike.
- Can build trust, is willing to partner and is not afraid to speak their mind while contributing to a culture of openness and frank talk.
- The ability to lead through change, and foster a strong, cohesive team culture.
- Deep understanding of AI, Machine Learning, or NLP technologies is preferred.
- Engineering or technical background is a preferred.
- We don’t spend frivolously, but we do take care of our own. Besides smart, sincere colleagues and a vibrant work environment, we are proud to offer:
- Employer-covered medical plans, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Competitive parental leave policy (parents actually work here!)
- Generous PTO
- Company stock options
- 401k plan with employer matching
- Flexible schedules
Writer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. We don’t make hiring or employment decisions based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Under the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.