ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a particular time-zone preference for this role.
This job is an IC4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
Why this job is exciting
All devs should be using Sourcegraph. If you agree, help us make it so! Join our Growth Marketing team and work with a small group of 100% devs to grow awareness, free usage, and conversion to usage within companies (which is our business model). The work we do is awesome, devvy, scalable stuff that reaches tons of devs. This is a ~100% coding role (besides talking to users and helping publicize the awesome stuff you build, of course).
Within one month, you will…
- Build things to help Sourcegraph reach more devs, make them love our product, and want to start using it inside their company.
- Be involved in coming up with these ideas, building them, and iterating on them.
- Examples include: a local desktop app version of Sourcegraph, bringing some Code Insights to Sourcegraph.com, StackOverflow integration, usage examples for OSS library docs, etc.
- Work in public.
- Have done some small growth experiments and started to engage publicly with the community.
Within three months, you will…
- Have established yourself as a technical lead on the team and can help architect bigger bets that require cross-team collaboration.
- Own 1-2 major projects that are shipped and driving results (qualified trials).
Within six months, you will…
- Lead the team in delivering several large-scale, high-impact bets.
- You have 8+ years experience as a software engineer, have been in a devtools founder-like role, or have open-source project ownership and have hacked on your own open-source project.
- You are a strong full stack coder (backend & frontend) and have examples of your code or PR from an open-source project.
- You have a self-directed hacker mindset.
- You maintain or make significant contributions to at least 1 interesting open-source project.
- You have prior experience working/creating/learning/sharing in public.
- You genuinely want to grow the business (not just build stuff).
- Evidence of public excitement around coding on GitHub, Twitter, your blog, Hacker News, etc.
- You’ve used our product and have good feedback and growth ideas to share in the interview.
- You love Sourcegraph and our product.
Nice to haves:
- Experience at a 20+-person company or as a devtools founder with a business model.
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
The target compensation for this role is $190,000 USD base
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30m] Recruiter Screen with Frey Andersson
- [30m] Hiring Manager Screen with Raf
- [60m] Resume Deep Dive
Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60m] Coding Skills Interview
- [60m] Architecture Interview
- [45m] Cross-functional Team Collaboration interview with Taylor Sperry + Daniel Marques
Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees