The Summer Internship
At Discord, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer. Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June to accommodate varying school calendars. Conditions permitting, our 2023 summer internships will be remote, with an opportunity to spend a week in the office at some point during the program.
As a Product Design Intern, you’ll be involved with the full product development process from end-to-end, from brainstorming to launch. You’ll be partnered with a tenured member of our Design team who will guide you along the way; helping you to use your developing skill set to tackle many of the interesting design challenges we take on for our customers every day at Discord. With a focus on Premium Products, you’ll participate in the conceptualization and development of features aimed at improving the overall experience for our Nitro subscribers, as well as ways to encourage more membership. If you’re interested in joining a passionate team of designers that are designing features that will be used by millions of people across the world, this is your place! With a focus on Premium Products, you’ll participate in the conceptualization and development of features aimed at improving the overall experience for our Nitro subscribers, as well as ways to encourage more membership. If you’re interested in joining a passionate team of designers that are designing features that will be used by millions of people across the world, this is your place!
What you’ll do
- You will form part of our growing and “EPAD” Organization that includes Engineering, Product, Analytics and Design functions.
- You will partner with a senior designer who will help guide you through both day-to day tasks, and provide mentorship on how to grow as a Product Designer.
- You’ll be able to assist and shadow a senior design partner on both design work as well as cross functional collaboration
- You’ll have exposure to partnering directly with engineers, product managers and other cross-functional peers to help build the user experience from idea to market, specifically focused on our Premium Product efforts. This includes our Discord Nitro subscription service.
- You will present your designs to your senior design partner, and also to the broader organization to get support on your concepts.
- You will create wire-frames, beautiful mock ups, amazing prototypes, and help implement your designs to pixel perfection.
- You will test, learn, and iterate on everything you do alongside your senior design partner, as well as the cross functional team.
What you have
- Currently enrolled in a degree program focused on design
- A love of developing “zero-to-one” products and features.
- Experience presenting information in written, verbal, and presentation form
- Experience working as part of a team and following through on your own assignments or action items
- Have a high organizational, planning, and follow-up skill set
- Prototyping proficiency
- Interface animation know-how
Salary of $55/hour*
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
*Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment*
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!